Get the best service and rates by dealing direct with Small World Journeys.
| From $ 995Aboriginal Culture Discovery – 6 Day Adventure
Expires 31 Mar 2017
About Student Trips: Aboriginal Culture Discovery
Introducing Australia's Indigenous People & Culture
Far North Queensland is rich with indigenous traditions, and a confluence of cultures brings together a strinking blend of art, language, dance, food and ceremony. On this tour, you discover smiliarities in Aboriginal culture as well as vast differences among the Tjapukai, Kuku Yalanji, Jirrbal and Yidinji through talks, walks and fun activities.
Authentic interactions with Aboriginal people reveal their respect for land and reverence for traditions long forgotten by indigenous people in other parts of the world.
Share in the discovery of a 40,000 year old culture while enjoying gorgeous natural places of the tropics.
- Learn basics of the Jirrbal language
- Paint your own boomerang and learn how to throw one
- Search the mangroves with Kuku Yalanji guides for “bush tucker”
- Discover indigenous story places on a river kayaking trip
- Understand rainforest plants used for food and medicine
- Learn to throw a spear to catch your own food and then cook it
- See how tradition and modernity combine in Aboringal peoples’ lives
- OPTION: Make your own didgeridoo with a Yindinji family
All accommodation is included. Your home base is a breezy award-winning hostel in the centre of Cairns’ restaurant and shopping district. Students like the tropical swimming pool, lounging in the hammock and playing billiards at the free pool table. Group leaders love the private ensuite rooms, the central location, and free internet/WiFi. Two nights you stay at Echo Creek, where students sleep in single gender safari-style wood floor tents with bunk beds, while group leaders sleep in cabins with kitchenettes.
All meals are included. You have a combination of catered and restaurant meals. A typical breakfast is a selection of cereals, toast, juice and fruits; lunches are combinations of sandwiches and salads with fruits and a sweet, and dinners are tasty choices at restaurants or old favourites such as lasagne, stir-frys, burgers, and tacos. Ask us about vegetarian, kosher and halal options.
6-day trip from $995 per person
Inclusions on Aboriginal Culture Discovery:
- One FREE teacher for every 10 paying participants
- Cairns airport transfers
- Specialty guides and educators
- All activities and entrance fees as described in the itinerary
- Transportation to activities
- 3 nights at Cairns budget accommodation (4 or 6 share dorm rooms with private bathroom)
- 2 nights Echo Creek cabins (4 or 6 share dorm-style rooms with shared bathroom)
- Teacher accommodation in double or triple share private rooms and cabins
- All breakfasts
- All lunches
- All dinners
- A hand-painted boomerang to take home
- 101 Animals of the Wet Tropics field guide for each student
- Pre-trip educational information
- 5 metres square Daintree rainforest plot adopted in your group’s name through Rainforest Rescue
- A reusable water bottle and cloth shopping bag
- ClimateCare™ carbon offsetting for a carbon-neutral trip
- Risk assessment on request
Trip Fees Exclude:
- International & domestic airfare
- Personal expenses (phone, laundry, etc.)
Add a day to make a didgeridoo with and Aboriginal Family – $295
How to get to Student Trips: Aboriginal Culture Discovery
Direct Contact Info
Hours: 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday
101 Russell St