Get the best service and rates by dealing direct with Small World Journeys.
| From $ 1195Aboriginal Culture Discovery – 5 Day Adventure
Special Expires 31 Mar 2019
Authentic interactions with Aboriginal people reveal their respect for land and reverence for traditions long forgotten by indigenous people in other parts of the world. Share in the discovery of a 40,000 year old culture while enjoying gorgeous natural places of the tropics.
About Student Trips: Aboriginal Culture Discovery
Introducing Australia's Indigenous People & Culture
Far North Queensland is rich with indigenous traditions, and a confluence of cultures brings together a strinking blend of art, language, dance, food and ceremony. On this tour, you discover smiliarities in Aboriginal culture as well as vast differences among the Tjapukai, Kuku Yalanji, Jirrbal and Yidinji through talks, walks and fun activities.
Authentic interactions with Aboriginal people reveal their respect for land and reverence for traditions long forgotten by indigenous people in other parts of the world.
Share in the discovery of a 40,000 year old culture while enjoying gorgeous natural places of the tropics.
Areas of Learning:
- Aboriginal Culture
- Hunting & Gathering
- Learn basics of the Jirrbal language
- Create your own dot painting under the tutelage of an Aboriginal artsit
- Search the mangroves with Kuku Yalanji guides for “bush tucker”
- Discover Indigenous story places on a river kayaking trip
- Understand rainforest plants used for food and medicine
- Learn to throw a spear to catch your own food and then cook it
- See how tradition and modernity combine in Aboringal peoples’ lives
Accommodation:All accommodation is included. Your home base is a breezy award-winning hostel in the centre of Cairns’ restaurant and shopping district. Students like the tropical swimming pool, lounging in the hammock and playing billiards at the free pool table. Group leaders love the private ensuite rooms, the central location, and free internet/WiFi. In the Tully Valley, you stay on a vast parcel of private property, where cabins are set up near a central lake. Hot showers and delicious meals are part of your stay here.
Meals:All meals are included. You have a combination of catered and restaurant meals. A typical breakfast is a selection of cereals, toast, juice and fruits; lunches are combinations of sandwiches and salads with fruits and a sweet, and dinners are tasty choices at restaurants or old favourites such as lasagne, stir-frys, burgers, and tacos. Ask us about vegetarian, kosher and halal options.
5-day trip from $1195 per person
Inclusions on Aboriginal Culture Discovery:
- One FREE teacher for every 10 paying participants
- Cairns airport transfers
- Small World Journeys guide days 1-4
- Specialty guides and educators
- All activities and entrance fees as described in the itinerary
- Transportation to activities
- 3 nights at Cairns budget accommodation (4 or 6 share dorm rooms with private bathroom)
- 1 nights Echo Creek cabins (4 or 6 share dorm-style rooms with shared bathroom)
- All continental breakfasts
- All lunches
- All dinners except on Night 3
- A hand-painted canvas to take home
- Pre-trip educational information
- 5 metres square Daintree rainforest plot adopted in your group’s name through Rainforest Rescue
- A BPA free reusable water bottle and cloth shopping bag
- Carbon offsetting through Sustainable Travel International (STI)
Trip Fees Exclude:
- International & domestic airfare
- Personal expenses (phone, laundry, etc.)